Recently, I reached out to Lauren (The Green Stew) to ask if she would be interested in doing a Guest Edit. I admire her eco approach to all things yachting and thought you would all benefit from her wisdom!
Lucky for us, she said a massive YES and put together a three-part series. I hope you enjoy reading through this post as much as I did!
Once upon a time, you may have only found them used for welcome towels or in spa treatments. However, essential oils are quickly becoming a staple item onboard yachts. With such powerful properties and attractive benefits, they can be used in various ways, from supporting crew and guest wellness, making green cleaning products & toiletries or even adding to cooking and cocktails!
Today I will be sharing how oils can support Crew Wellness.
Supporting Crew Wellness
Using essential oils is a way of calling on nature to restore harmony and balance to our mind, body and soul. As a Yacht crew, maintaining good health and overall wellness is paramount. Without a healthy and energised crew, a yacht cannot run to its full potential. Working in such a high paced and demanding environment can quickly take its toll on our health and wellbeing.
That’s where Essential Oils come in… they can be used in various ways! Oil can assist in decreasing stress, anxiety, sleep disruption, compromised immunity, lack of energy, adrenal fatigue, hormone imbalances and a range of other ailments.
Different ways to use essential oils
Essential oils can be absorbed just by breathing them in.
One of the most popular ways to inhale and use essential oils is by diffusing them. Diffusing oils on board is such a wonderful experience for crew and guests.
I’ve experienced diffusers being used all around the vessel.
Crew Cabins – create a sanctuary of peace and serenity
Crew Mess – uplift, reduce stress and boost crew immunity
Office Space – uplift and support mental clarity
Guest Areas – set the mood for relaxation and comfort!
Onboard diffuser blends:
Sleep sanctuary: Lavender, Frankincense, Sandalwood or Eucalyptus & Tea tree
Immunity booster: DoTerra “Onguard” blend (containing Wild orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary) or Tea tree and Lemon
Mood booster: Wild orange & Lemon or Peppermint
Concentration: Lemon, Rosemary and Basil
Applying oils to the skin:
The most effective areas for oil applications are behind the ears, chest & solar plexus, stomach, temples (not too close to the eyes) and the soles of feet and feet’ soles.
Areas to avoid include the eyes, inside of ears & any area of increased sensitivity. Everyone is different, so always take caution and test patch yourself first.
Make sure to use a carrier oil as it safely dilutes the oil and allows them to soak into the pores effectively. Fractionated coconut oil is the perfect companion for essential oil use.
An easy way to use oils on the skin is by making various roller bottle blends with essential oils and fractionated coconut oil.
Roller bottle blends:
- Sleep and relaxation – 8 drops of Lavender, five drops of Frankincense, four drops of Roman chamomile or Sandalwood
- Anxiety & stress relief – 10 drops of Frankincense, five drops of Ylang Ylang, five drops of Lavender
- Immunity booster – 10 drops of DoTerra Onguard oil (containing clove, wild orange, cinnamon, eucalyptus & rosemary), five drops of Oregano, four drops of Lemon, five drops of Tea tree
- Headache relief – 8 drops of Peppermint, ten drops of Lavender
- Uplifting anti-brain fog – 8 drops of Lemon, four drops of Wild orange, four drops of Rosemary
Once you’ve added your oils, top the bottles up with fractionated coconut oil!
Want to save this blog post? Pin the above image to your Pinterest Board!
Herbal Wellness Support
Just as we use herbal supplements and teas to support us, we can use essential oils similarly. Adding one or two drops to your smoothie or tea can have fantastic health benefits as well as add a delicious taste!
Here are a few simple uses:
- Detoxing – Add one drop of Lemon or grapefruit oil to a cup of hot water or your water bottle
- Stomach relief – Put one drop of peppermint on the roof of your mouth or in a glass of water for relief from nausea, stomach upsets and bloating
- Immunity booster – Wild orange, Cinnamon, Clove, Oregano & Lemon are great oils for boosting the immune system. Add a few drops to your water bottle whenever you’re feeling under the weather or in need of a boost
- Rescue remedy – Place one drop of Frankincense oil under the tongue for instant relief from feelings of anxiety (I take my Franky with me every time I fly!)
- Make your tea – Add one drop of Wild orange, Lemongrass or Lemon oil to a cup of hot water for a delicious tea! (I also like to add one of these oils to my loose leaf green tea to give it a yummy flavour.)
- Boost your smoothies – Essential oils can be used to give your smoothie a yummy flavour or an added boost. One of my favourites at the moment is one drop of Peppermint oil along with cacao powder to create a minty choc smoothie.
Copaiba is also an excellent oil; I like to add, which has similar benefits to CBD oil.
** Please note:
When using essential oils, it is necessary to source only high-quality therapeutic grade, 100% pure oils, which are proven to be safe to use and hold these powerful beneficial properties. Unfortunately, many oils on the market are filled with harmful synthetic fragrances and fillers, and there are no laws around what companies can claim on the label. This means that “100% pure essential oil” does not always mean this is the case, which is scary!
I swear by DoTerra for all of my oils. If you’d like to get your hands on some DoTerra oils or would like to learn more about the beautiful world of essential oils, reach out to me at [email protected] or follow this link to order your oils http://www.mydoterra.com/thegreenstew
I’d love to hear from you!
Lauren xx (The Green Stew)
- Managing TWO full time jobs, while changing the world - October 16, 2020
- Mini Series: Dealing with being overwhelmed // Yoga - October 9, 2020
- Mini Series: Dealing with being overwhelmed //Breathing - October 8, 2020