Today’s blog post is a little different and for a good reason!
At the beginning of the year (2020), one of my best friends, Gemma, was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. At that time, she was working with me on board; we were all completely shocked, quite honestly. But, without that 15-minute appointment, she would never have known that anything was wrong or she needed treatment.
As Stewardesses, our job consists of working tirelessly, looking after others, and far too often, we forget about ourselves.
So today, I am setting you a challenge…
- Commit to booking a pap smear every three years
- Get your phone out and set a reminder for every two years
- Remind your sisters, friends and coworkers to do the same
There can be a stigma attached to getting a pap smear. Some find it embarrassing; some feel it’s only appropriate if you have multiple sexual partners, and others don’t see the point. I encourage you to look past all of this and view the appointment as an essential part of your health.
I have put together a downloadable list of recommended doctor’s offices worldwide to make things as easy as possible. They are all English speaking and recommended by yachties! So now, all you need to do is call or email for an appointment.
I love this community and care deeply for everyone, which is why I am pleading with you to please, please, book an exam.
Edit: As many of you may already know, Gem passed away in October 2021. It’s more vital than ever to book your pap smear.
Lots of love,
- Managing TWO full time jobs, while changing the world - October 16, 2020
- Mini Series: Dealing with being overwhelmed // Yoga - October 9, 2020
- Mini Series: Dealing with being overwhelmed //Breathing - October 8, 2020