In this episode of The Yacht Stew Podcast, I speak with Lauren Wardley, founder of Ethical Yacht Wear.
Driven by a desire to make a significant impact on the world, Lauren was inspired by the international success of Toms Shoes’ One for One business model and 4ocean’s mission to stop the ocean plastic crisis. She started a company called One Back, which sold ethical t-shirts and gave a percentage of their profits back to ocean cleanup and research. At some point, Lauren received a request to have her t-shirts yacht-branded. She became excited about the prospect of revolutionising the yacht crew uniform for the better, and so she decided to create Ethical Yacht Wear.
Lauren shares how to communicate to your captain about making the switch to uniforms supplied by Ethical Yacht Wear and how to build up the courage to start a side business alongside your career.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- The inspiration behind Lauren’s purpose-driven business
- How Lauren manages time
- Why it makes sense for yacht crew to switch to ethically-sourced clothing
- Lauren’s advice for crew members who want to expand their horizons and take on a meaningful endeavour apart from their work
“It’s not always easy, but when you have an end goal, and you know that you can make a good impact on the world, that keeps you motivated every day.”
“You’ve got to break the mental barrier. Most people get stuck at the very beginning of a big project because they’re scared of starting. It’s baby steps. Take out a small piece of paper and figure out the building blocks. Take inspiration from others who have done something similar to what you want to do. Anything is achievable; it’s just a matter of starting.”
“I want to be able to give back to everybody. Giving back to the ocean, first and foremost, is the most important thing to me. There is so much trash and plastic that floats past me all the time, wherever I am. I want to give back on a smaller scale and, eventually, on a bigger scale. Anything that I can do to give back to the yachting industry is my ultimate goal.”
- Managing TWO full time jobs, while changing the world - October 16, 2020
- Mini Series: Dealing with being overwhelmed // Yoga - October 9, 2020
- Mini Series: Dealing with being overwhelmed //Breathing - October 8, 2020