The Yacht Stew:
Hey there, I’m Gemma, the girl behind The Yacht Stew.
Most days you can find me writing a multitude of lists & checking off as many things as possible, singing my lungs out, with my hair in a bun & a cup of cold (I ALWAYS forget about it!) tea.
I’m newly married to my incredible husband and a devoted big sister. I’m a Yacht Chief Stew, unscripted yachtie blogger, organization nerd & a women who feels most at home while laying in the top bunk on my crew cabin.
I am mostly known for creating the online community that is The Yacht Stew. Encouraging women from around the world to share their wins & struggles in an effort to remind everyone that even though you may not set foot on land for the next 3 months, you are truthfully never alone.
People often remember me as someone who gives far too many hugs, gets overly excited over tiny details & is the ultimate extrovert-introvert. Monday nights are reserved for Peppermint Tea, Face Masks & Gilmore Girl reruns.
I love serving the world by sharing my passions, vulnerabilities & joys. Joining the Yachting Industry in 2011, right out of University, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. With my best friend by my side, we both managed to get our first jobs & what was going to be a summer of paying off student debt, turned into my career and over 7 years later, I’m still loving every second.
Throughout the past several years, I have seen a huge lack of resources to help women not only get started in the industry, but also excel throughout their careers. Unlike on the deck side, as Interior Crew, we don’t have set courses we need to take to progress, so instead, it’s up to US to push ourselves to learn more, think outside of the box & become creative forces.
When I’m not busy working onboard, you can catch me eating egg-free cake (allergies suck!), flying to the nearest sunny destination with my hubby & daydreaming about my future dogs (Marley & Rasc)
If you’re dying to hear more, here are five things you might not know about me.
1. I’m probably the only yachtie you’ll meet that doesn’t drink coffee
2. I first saw my now husband through the porthole & for 3 weeks I daydreamed about meeting the ‘boy next-door’
3. I’m incredibly passionate about fostering kind & genuine relationships, so it was a no brainer to have crew from every yacht I’ve worked on at my Wedding
4. On my first guest trip, I realized I had never opened a beer before & fumbled my way through it in front of the Owner. (Don’t worry, I’ve practised since then!)
5. Mornings & I have had a tough relationship through the years, but we are learning to see eye to eye
Still here? Let’s connect!